Making and deepening disciples is an ongoing kingdom priority for all the churches and ministries that make up the family of the Evangelical Covenant Church of Canada. Trellis Foundation continues to be a catalyst of discipleship in the Canadian Covenant, as a legacy of Covenant Bible College. God is up to something good through Trellis, strategically using funds from the college’s closure to make and mature disciples of Jesus within the ECCC’s local churches and camps.
Trellis is delighted to announce that $12,650 in new discipleship grants has just been disbursed, plus another $6,500 from a multi-year grant awarded previously. Here are this month’s recipients and their initiatives:
- Abundant Life Covenant Church, for their AGAPE Project, training core leaders in disciple-making and a series of outreach events to engage their neighbours in Ward 7 Brampton.
- Avenue Community Church, Toronto, for a pair of men’s and women’s retreats focusing on identity as God’s beloved children, slowing down to be more fully present to Jesus and one another.
- Faith Covenant, Winnipeg, for a CD recording project documenting new songs in their community’s corporate worship life so that the richness of Sunday morning worship can be extended through out the week.
- Holy Community Covenant, The Gathering (Steinbach), and Faith Covenant, for a new Covenant Orientation process to deepen lay leaders through engaging with the Covenant’s rich history and theology.
- Nelson Covenant Church, for beginning Freedom Session, a guided process walking with adults through recovery from addictions and compulsions into greater healing and wholeness in Christ.
- Erickson Covenant Church, for their new disciple-equipping cohort process called "The Timothy Project" (final part of a multi-year grant).
The first Trellis Greenhouse workshop was offered at the 2017 AGM, creating a space to brainstorm discipleship ideas and learn how to apply for grants. This summer, twelve Canadian Covenant churches received $4825 of the $10,000 available for Camper Scholarship Grants to help kids go to Bible camps. Thanks to donors’ generosity during Trellis’ 2016 Matching Gift Opportunity, the remaining $5,175 will be made available as CHIC scholarship grants for 2018. A new application form will be available in December.
Here’s a wide range of other discipleship initiatives supported with Trellis grants that have been underway in 2017:
- Balfour Covenant Church’s children's ministry training weekend.
- College Park Covenant Church, Saskatoon, "Peacemaking In the Neighbourhood" Blanket Exercise event and book club on truth and reconciliation in Canada.
- Covenant Bay Bible Camp & ECCC Youth Ministry Network’s equipping conference for youth pastors and youth leaders;
- Covenant Heights Bible Camp’s Branch leadership development program;
- Emmanuel Covenant Church, White Rock, to begin a worship internship;
- Erickson Covenant Church, resources for a financial stewardship study group.
- Faith Covenant, Winnipeg, pastoral internships for MDiv students, some of whom have become pastors in the ECCC.
- Green Timbers Covenant, Surrey, intercultural competence development conference, in conjunction with the Center for World Christian Studies at North Park University.
- Junction Covenant Church’s weekend of equipping seminars about anxiety and depression.
- Melfort Covenant, for Right Now Media discipleship resources.
- Minnedosa Covenant’s children & youth ministry internship.
- The ECCC’s pastoral intern scholarships, CBC Legacy Scholarships for students pursuing discipleship education, along with a block grant for a wide range of discipleship projects including Adventures In Leadership, the Alive conference, and the Israel/Palestine Study Tour.
To learn more about the catalytic nature of Trellis Foundation, visit trellisfoundation.ca. With grateful and expectant hearts, we can’t wait to see what God has in store this coming year as we continue making and deepening disciples of Jesus Christ together in the ECCC.
Please consider giving to support the many ways the ECCC is seeking to Make & Deepen Disciples. Your gift will help us to finish 2017 strong by meeting the financial commitments we made together as a family of churches. For information on how to give, visit www.covchurch.ca/giving.